Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cracker Stuffed Squash

You already know that I love Gooseberry Patch cookbooks and that some of my tried and true recipes are in several of their books.  A little over a year ago the book came out "Mom's Very Best Recipes".  My mother's recipe for Stuffed Squash has always been a favorite of ours so I entered it and it was published.  Just in case y  ou have the book, it's on page 123



I don't know about ya'll, but squash is one of the vegetables that we have no problems growing in the garden here on Lillie Mae Acres.  Squash and Zuchini are running out of our eyeballs by mid season.  Which reminds me, I'll be home shelling peas tomorrow night.  Let the pea shelling begin!

I thought I'd post this delicious recipe for those of you that haven't seen it. 

Stuffed Squash


5 yellow squash (med to large)
1 T butter
2 eggs, beaten
2 c saltine cracker crumbs (very fine)
garlic pwdr, salt, pepper to taste
2 T water
Optional: 1/2 c onion, chopped

Wash and trim squash, place in boiler, cover w/ water and boil over md heat, simmer 7 min or until tender.  Take out and slice length ways. Let cool.

Scoop insides of squash into fry pan, add all remaining ingred into a shallow pan and stir fry until golden.

Arrange squash hulls into casserole dish, add a little water to bottom for moisture.

Stuff each one with stir fried mixture and bake 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes. 

HINT: When I place the hulls into the casserole dish, I sprinkle w/ a little salt before adding mixture and baking.  We're just salt lovers around here.


I sure hope ya'll enjoy this delicious recipe.  As a kid, this is how my mom got us to eat squash and today I'll gladly eat it just about any way it's cooked.  Even raw!

I am so tired.  I worked today and it was a hectic day, way more so than a normal Thursday.  I met Wayne at a local restuarant to hear our son and his band pic and sing some Bluegrass and eat supper.  Now I've got my feetsies up and fixing to crawl in that big ole' comfy bed!  I don't have my precious Lily this weekend and I already miss her! 

Take care and drop back by soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.