Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Thursday, July 28, 2011

When Pigs Fly...Oink Oink!

Doesn't everyone love pigs? Our childhood cartoons and stories were filled with pigs. Porky Pig, the Three Little Pigs, all the farm stories had at least one pig, Charlotte's Web. And today in our beautiful prim, country, farmhouse kitchens most of us cook up a lot of pig, hog, pork while some of us even decorate with pigs. Don't forget that famous answer to something that's not going to happen, "when pigs fly".

A few months ago my mom was teaching Lily (my 1 1/2 yr old great niece) what her piggy bank says. That kid was laughing so hard at her Mema saying oink oink, she was almost losing her breath. She actually has a furry piggy bank that oinks when you put money in it. And of course we all count baby toes as little piggies. This little piggy went to the market, this little piggy stayed home, etc.

When I started dating my sweet hubby years ago, he started bringing me flowers, flowers, flowers, and more flowers. After the flower phase, it was adorable little pig figurines to collect in the Pigsville Collection. Pigs, pigs, and pigs until we had to stop.

We finally had to say Enough! And in cleaning out storage about a year ago, we actually got rid of a bunch of them.
But oh take just one guess at our wedding cake topper. You guessed it, a lovely pig bride and groom.
These days my sweet hubby is having to go over to his mom's house and try to clean it up so maybe it can sell. When she died earlier this year, he went over and came back home with a beautiful large brown hog.
He said it was his favorite and was glad I liked it enough to keep it. I tied a red gingham bow on it and gave it a proper home in our farmhouse kitchen.
He took a break and didn't go for awhile, his back started bothering him and he has really suffered for well over a month now. He has started back cleaning the old house out the best that he can with his back, and not getting much help I should say. He usually stops by after work, he says if it gets done he knows he'll have to do it although the other family members will be holding their hands out when it sells. That's the way it is! Matthew and I agree and may end up having to go help him even though the woman couldn't stand us so we really don't like being in her house. ANYWAY, he recently brought home a cute little mama pig and piglet set. We already had one just like it painted white with black spots. The one he brought home from his mom's was painted, well let's just say the lady couldn't paint. LOL We almost threw them away but I thought maybe I could save them with a new paint job. See them below, I SAVED them.

I thought I'd go around our home and show you our not so small collection of pigs, hogs, swine.

Wayne made my pig cutting board in the picture above years ago.

I found this cute little quilted pig above at a thrift store.
Here's a few that sit around in different little corners.
Various pewter pigs.
Bacon Presses.
Hog Head mold!
Hog hook.
I couldn't resist these folkish looking figurines above a few years ago, I actually found them in a Dollar Tree store. I love how chubby the pig is.

The HUGE steel hog above stands tall in Dothan, Alabama. He has stood there for years overlooking the highway below. He used to be rusty looking steel, which to me was so much prettier than painted pink.

Here's a link so you can read about this huge wonderful creature.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11092

Below are just a few cute pig items I found pictures of online.


So how about you? Do you like little piggies?

2 comments:

  1. Lillie Mae Love all those little oink oinks
    just too cute!! the Brown one is the favorite
    and the gathering cutter board.. oh yes the
    the welcome sign.. Thanks for sharing your
    Oink Oink collection :-)
    So enjoy visiting your blog it's up lifting
    and refreshing..
    Summer Time Blessings
    Trish-Ladybug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now every single time I see a pig, I will think of you! =]

    I love the pig shaped cutting boards but have not found one yet. I enjoyed your pig collection, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.