Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Friday, May 13, 2011

Farmhouse Table has Come Home, well almost!

First of all THANK GOODNESS they've got blogger back up and running. And to update you on our beautiful GS dog Banjo, he's doing good. He's been on Phenobarbital for a week now and so far no seizures. It's a waiting game. I really do appreciate your prayers, advise, and kind words.

That super sweet, terrific, talented, hubby of mine (sorry I'm so sappy) has brought our kitchen table and bench home. Him and a friend made it at the friend's cabinet shop and he has brought it home for him and Matthew to finish. They put the first coat of Tung Oil on everything but the bench today. They have a little work to do on the bench, then sanding, then Tung Oil. I don't know how many times they plan to rub it with the oil, Wayne said until it looks just right. It's beautiful and I already cherish it.

It's just one more handmade piece of furniture in our home that's meant to become a family heirloom in years to come, cherished by Matthew and his family, followed by their kids and their kids, etc. I know how much I love and cherish the furniture I have that my dad made and the antique items that once belonged to family members from the past lovingly given to me by my mother. I know I can't be the only sentimental lady alive.




The above pictures are right after they unloaded it. Unfinished and before we sanded on it a little more. Wayne wanted me to be able to tell him when the corners looked just right to me, after all we did draw this table and bench out, and designed it perfect for our farmhouse kitchen. It measures seven feet by three feet. The bench is six feet and fits perfectly between the table legs.

Below, the table and chairs are getting their first coat of Tung Oil. Look at that beautiful grain of the hickory coming through. We chose not to put a stain on it, with the oil it will darken with age.





Last but certainly not least, we just celebrated Wayne's 55th birthday. Not in the big way that I wanted to like taking a family trip to the mountains but we enjoyed it just the same. I made him a chocolate candy bar cake to go with ice cream after a spaghetti supper.



I hope everyone is doing alright with all this crazy weather from state to state. It's HOT HOT HOT, already reached over 100F some days here in north Florida. As I create this post, it's pouring outside, pounding on the metal roof, thundering and lightning. The rain is more than welcome, but I sure wish the other would go away. I really hate to complain though, because neighboring states are having it much worse, some losing so much. Our prayers are going out to all of them, especially the ones losing loved ones and friends.

Thanks as usual for stopping by Lillie Mae Acres. You're welcome to come back anytime and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. SO glad to hear Banjo is doing better, I've been worried about that precious pup! That table is AWESOME, oh my goodness, SO gorgeous! Candy bar cake, OH MY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW, how very special! They did an awesome job on that table. Girl, that is perfect for a country kitchen! You all did a great job planning and designing it. That is the perfect piece to pass on down. My favorite antiques are the family heirlooms that have been passed on down to me.

    Chocolate candy bar cake? Oh boy... YUM! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.