Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Saturday, April 30, 2011

FAMILY table



That sweet talented husband of mine and a friend of his (cabinet maker) is building my new beautiful kitchen table and bench at the friend's shop. The five unfinished Windsor chairs that I ordered sit here tucked in corners of the LR waiting for their turn.

Here's the plan:
Wayne couldn't build anything that big in his overcrowded work shop with the sawdust floor, and this friend of his does beautiful work. So using my design on crumpled paper from years ago, Wayne went and picked out Hickory from somewhere (sawmill?), and it's all being built in the nice cabinet shop. It's causing him to be home late some evenings, but that's ok.
When it's built, Wayne and Matthew will haul the table and bench home to their shop and haul the five Windsors out there. They will both stain, finish, tongue oil, whatever! Wayne won't tell me anything for sure and I'm not even aloud to see a picture. I'll be banned from the work shop, but that's ok. It's my dream table and I've been waiting for years so I won't cheat and look.
I know the table dimensions are 36" x 7'. I know the bench will tuck under both legs on one side (the side facing my kitchen counter) and I know the 3 unarmed Windsors will fit perfectly along the other side with each armed chair on each end. That's it, that's all I'm sure of. I sort of wanted to have my hands in this major project too but I'll just wait.
This is going to be an heirloom piece, so I haven't "settled" for anything found in stores that was even similar to what we wanted. The table and bench will be signed underneath by all three of them, to be passed down for generations.

About a year ago, Matthew finally got it in his head that everything we build and put love into is heirloom, HIS heirlooms. Pieces of furniture or decor that will help make his house a home many years from now. We could tell instantly that when that clicked with him, a since of pride took over and he finally understood why Wayne wants everything to be near perfect. Now Matthew is even trying to do everything he does around here as good as he can.

What style of table? Well, some pictures I see online are labeled Harvest Table, others are labeled Farmhouse Table. So mine will be somewhere in those styles. What I know is that it is going to be our family table in our farmhouse kitchen and will be the setting for many many many blessed meals for ourselves and those we love dearly.

I can already see Wayne's mom's hurricane lamp sitting in the center or a beautiful flower arrangement. I can already see my Phaltzgraff Folk Art china on it, I can already see people sitting around, laughing and enjoying a meal together. I can already see sweet tea and our favorite meals sitting on it, and I can already tell you that it's going to be beautiful. A beautiful heirloom for us to enjoy, Matthew to enjoy, his children to enjoy, etc., etc. I just have to be patient for a little while longer for my dream FAMILY table.

Have a wonderful weekend. Please keep everyone devastated by the storms in your thoughts and prayers. They are our neighbors, they are children of God, and they need help.

7 comments:

  1. How exciting and wonderful! :) You are so fortunate to have talented wood workers like Wayne and your friend to build it for you. I can't wait to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...what a blessing! To see what you have longed for finally come to pass! How wonderful that your husband can do this for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. Yes, I am blessed with a talented husband and he's passing his skills down to our son. I'm proud to say that my husband has built our home with blood sweat and tears. Literally, as we had the cash we started and/or completed another project. Matthew has been right there following him around and learning as he grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see that table, I just know its gonna be gorgeous!!!! My heart is just breaking for all those folks who have lost so much, lots of tears and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see that table that your guys are making for you, they are putting a lot of love into it too !! I'm glad Matthew will sit at it one day with his wife & children too ~ what a treasure !!! I ♥ your family : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so fortunate! That table will have so much love built into it by the hands of your husband!! I can't wait to see it, I know it will only add pleasure and more love into your already beautiful abode!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that is so awesome Denise! That's a wonderful way to bring up your son. A place where you gather regularly to share with each other is definitely the best place to have a family heirloom! You are blessed, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.