Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Been Busy Cooking

Hey there everyone. I'm so sorry I've been slow about posting these days. I'm glad you stopped by though and hope you'll grab yourself a cup of your favorite fall beverage and sit a spell.

I recently entered four yummy recipes in a local Holiday Cooking contest and all four made it into the top ten. That meant I had to cook them Monday and take them to be tasted by judges. This is the third year I've done this and it's real fun. It jump starts my holiday cooking. And there is always a tasting afterwards where we get to eat up the food! How fun is that? Also, all top ten recipes in each category are printed up in a cookbook for locals to buy.



Each year I manage to win, but in the three years I have never won first place yet. I'll keep trying though, that's part of the fun. Monday night I won second in the Main Course category and Honorable Mention in the Appetizer category. I want to share the winning recipes with you and hope you'll try them. Maybe you and your family will enjoy them at some point throughout the holidays.

Slow Cooker Firehouse Chicken (2nd Place Winner)

2 (10.5 oz) cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 (6 oz) jar sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts

Combine first 4 ingredients together in a slow cooker and mix well. Add the chicken (cubed) and coat it with mixture.
Cook on high setting 1 hour, then low setting 5 hours.

Serving Options: Spoon over cooked rice OR Texas Toast if desired!
*********************************************************

Toasted Zucchini Snacks (Honorable Mention)

2 c shredded Zucchini
1 t salt
½ c mayonnaise
½ c plain yogurt
¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
4 green onions (sliced thin)
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 t Worcestershire Sauce
36 slices snack size Rye Bread

Preheat oven: 375 degrees

Press excess liquid out of shredded Zucchini, add salt and toss together. Add mayonnaise, yogurt, P cheese, onions, garlic, and W sauce. Mix together well.

On a baking sheet, place slices of bread and evenly spoon Zucchini mixture on top of each. Bake for approx. 10-12 minutes, until bubbling. Serve warm if possible.

********************************************************

On another note: I can't believe I have to tell you that I still don't have our main Christmas tree up in the living room yet. I did spend a good part of the last two days making a new primitive looking tree skirt though. I made a country tree skirt 16 years ago, so for the past few years I've been wanting to make a new one with darker colors. I'll blog about that later though.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend and thanks a bunch for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I know you were shooting for first place, but that's awesome Denise! The recipes sound yummy!

    I'm still in fall. It's my very favorite, even more than Christmas so I'll be enjoying it for a couple more weeks. I need a new skirt too. Been looking for a few years now and can't find one I want that is reasonably priced. Did you follow a pattern or make your own? Looking forward to your Christmas pictures. =]

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.