Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Saturday's Project & Exciting Piece of Mail

I knew I had to do something. Actually the last weekend of October is later than usual for me. What am I talking about? Putting out Christmas decorations of course! I'm holding out for a new Christmas tree, a beautiful tall SLIM tree, possibly 7.5 feet or maybe 9 feet. But that's no excuse for not starting on the other decorations. So, Saturday morning I did just that.

I'll hopefully get to the rest of the decorating this week, but the mantel was what I concentrated on Saturday. I had a major re-do project, the large wreath. I wanted to secure the loose pinecones and greenery since the wreath is a few years old. But I also added shotgun shells and miniature antlers to give it a lodge/cabin theme. These shotgun shells were gathered by me from back behind our barn and shed a while back. A few years ago, I made shotgun shell garland for Matthew's tree in his bedroom.

I'm happy with the mantel and plan to be real careful to keep the lodge/cabin theme going in the whole room. I hope you enjoy the pictures, and there will be a lot more as I decorate.

BUT, before you scroll through mantel decor pictures, I want to tell you about an exciting piece of mail that came Saturday. A letter size envelope with a very familiar logo on it. GOOSEBERRY PATCH. The logo that all of us Gooseberry Patch fans long to see, especially if we've submitted recipes or ordered something. The letter and permission form was letting me know that they will be using one of my recipes in a future publication. It'll be out in April 2011, and the title sounds like it will be a great collection of favorites. I'm so EXCITED! That's the second GP cookbook that I'm in.

Ok, here's the mantel pictures. Thank you for stopping back by Lillie Mae Acres, and please come back real soon. It's almost hot cocoa weather, so you never know when I'll have some simmering on the back burner and a sweet baked up to go with it.


My two favorite guys were out of town bluegrassin' all day Saturday. This wreath re-do was to surprise them, since I added the shotgun shells and antlers to it.



Can you see the bull head ornament just under the bow on the above lantern?

I just found the rusty metal acorn bells in the above picture at Walmart the other day. I attached the rifle and pine branch to it. There are two of these, one on each side.

I LUV LUV LUV my black bears sitting up there. We fell in love with black bears while visiting the Smoky Mountains. They usually sit on my floor.

I'm hoping that I can stick to the lodge/cabin theme. My beautiful prim and antique Christmas decor can be used elsewhere.

I still have a lot to do, including getting the actual fireplace ready for a fire when we need one. A few weeks ago, Matthew showed me some HUGE jumbo marshmallows in the store and I want to go ahead and get a bag for toasting. YUM! Or maybe for some Smores! Double YUM!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on having your second recipe published in Gooseberry Patch Denise !!! I can't wait to try it : )
    Your lodge decorations look wonderful, I'm sure that your guys love it !! I can't wait to see the rest & that beautiful tree you will have !
    I saw those huge marshmellows at the grocery market too & I can't wait to get some & put on top of a big mug of hot chocolate !!
    Stay warm & cozy now in that beautiful cabin of yours : )
    luvs~N~hugs
    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is wonderful news:) LOVE your mantel with the wreath and bears, very nice, and love the idea you had using the shotgun shells, my son would love that too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are an Early Bird! My goal is always the weekend after T'giving...I make it, sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your mantle and the bears, even more. Thanks for having me. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! I know what you mean about seeing that familiar logo in your mail... I thought I was the only one to get excited about that, lol!

    I love the lodge/cabin theme and it will look wonderful in your room. Your off to a great start, the wreath is very neat! Those rusty acorn bells are so adorable! I have not seen those at my Walmart. All the little touches that you have added really brings the room together and makes it complete. Looking good so far!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.