Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Thursday, September 2, 2010

$2.00 Valance...Just What I Wanted


I've never been completely happy with the mustard colored valance that I made a few years back to use for fall, so I decided this was the year to replace it. I knew I wanted green plaid to blend with my tablecloth and napkins and I found the PERFECT fabric a couple of weeks ago at Hobby Lobby. On sale too! All I needed was one yard and can you believe it was just a little more than $2.00? I LUV it too and now I don't know why it took me so long to replace the icky one.

Another little transition from old to new is this adorable little bird cage. It was gold and a dear friend gave it to me so painting it has never crossed my mind...until the other day! I believe she told me that it's a Home Interiors HOMCO piece.
When I received the new COUNTRY STORE of GENEVA catalog in the mail the other day, BINGO. There was my inspiration, right there on page 3. A black metal bird cage for decor, and the cost is $44.00. You know what I did next! Yep, Lillie Mae cleaned up that little gold shiny bird cage, took it outside and painted it black. You know how much I LUV LUV LUV spray paint!



I currently have a vintage Turkey candle figurine in it, it's from the 50's I believe. I decorated it to blend in with my current fall decor. If you don't get THE COUNTRY STORE of GENEVA catalogs, you really ought to go to their website and order one. Beautiful prim stuff for your home.

Well, that's it for now. I just knew I had to show off my inexpensive valance. I am truly a real Thrifty Thelma when I can be. And you know, there's nothing wrong with trying to stretch every dollar God blesses you with.

I'll leave you with a few pictures of my sweet little Lily in her new red dress my mom (her Mema) made for her. Ladybugs!




7 comments:

  1. Don't you just love getting a good deal! The valence looks great! And the bird cage, too cute! Great job on both!

    ~*hugs*~
    Gen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a new follower..have to check out the Geneva catalog..love your fall decor and I have the same turkey! good idea with the bird cage.....hugs from Southern California

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing the things we can make for our homes without breaking the bank!?! A little yardage, a little spray paint...seriously, great valance and I LOVE that little bird cage. Your home is always warm and cozy looking :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just came across your blog. The valance is very simple I like that.. I am your newest follower now.. Pop on over to my blog and say hello..
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new valance. And Lily in her new dress, she is the cutest lil' girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Lillie Mae!
    I love the valance you made, you can't beat $2!!!You know I luv luv luv birdcages and spraypainting also! The cage really pops with the accessories in your hutch! Tom Turkey looks good too! You get your sewing talent from your mother! Lilly looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your new valance looks great and blends in nicely with your home and fall decor. I buy all my homespun from Hobby Lobby. They are constantly on sale for 30% off. If I can't find anything in the store to buy (which rarely happens!), then I will use my 40% off coupon on a cut of homespun and it's even cheaper. It's quality material at a good price!

    Your fall decor is very nice. I love the berry garland! I need to get some pictures of my fall taken.

    Lil' Miss Lily is a cutie in her little red dress!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.