Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Monday, July 19, 2010

Pear Honey

This posting is for my friend Gail over at Faithfulness Farm. I love her blog and know you will too if you'll go over and take a look. (After you finish here at Lillie Mae Acres of course) http://faithfulnessfarm.blogspot.com/

Gail was kind enough to comment on my last post and ask me for my Pear Honey recipe. From experience I know that if you have pears you have a huge amount and need several recipes to use. I would love for everyone to have this recipe because it is oh so yummy! Do give it a try with HOT bisquits one morning, unless you are having to watch your sugar intake. If you are one of those people, you'd better stick to whatever your doctor recommended and NOT homemade preserves and honeys.

Here's the recipe and I sure hope you enjoy it as much as all the folks around here do!


Lillie Mae's Pear Honey

8 cups of pureed pears (peel,core,&cut pears into chunks then puree in blender)
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
8 cups sugar

After pureeing pears and measuring 8 cups, put into a large boiler, pour pineapple juice in, and turn on med. heat. Slowly stir in sugar and bring to a boil stirring constantly.
After bringing it to a full boil, turn heat back down between low and simmer, making sure to stir regularly for 2-2 1/2 hours. It will thicken and the last hour of cooking is when it will start to scorch if you don't stir regular. Give or take a few minutes cooking time as it thickens like honey.

Ladle into sterile jars, place a seal from boiling water, tighten ring one twist and sit on a level surface. Make sure they "pop" seal or you'll need to refrigerate.

5 comments:

  1. Your recipe looks and sounds wonderful. For those with sugar issues, I wonder how Splenda would work in place of the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise...you are an absolute sweetheart!! Thank you for posting this. I am planning to make this as soon as the pears start coming in :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about substituting the sugar for Splenda. It's worth looking around on the internet though because this stuff is oh so yummy!
    You're welcome Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful...my husband LOVES this kind of stuff. My aunt used a recipe similar to this, and we loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.