Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sign from Reclaimed Wood



Howdy all you faithful readers and followers of Lillie Mae Acres. I hope you are getting things done around your lovely homes. Getting those unfinished projects finished and doing some things that you dreamed up throughout the long cold days of winter as new spring projects. I just thought I'd show you a project that I'm proud of, one I've been wanting to do for a while.

I've been wanting a large sign to go over the doorway leading into the kitchen from the living room. Back at Christmas I made the mistake of hanging a vinyl Christmas message on sheetrock and it peeled the paint in a couple of places when I took it off. So there went the idea of using those wonderful vinyl letters to create a saying on anymore of my walls. I'll just stick to prim wooden signs.

Anyway, I decided that today was the day to make my sign. Wayne and I spent a good amount of time this afternoon in the yards arranging and rearranging some things, then went on to separate projects. I walked down to the barn to find me a piece of wood and he showed me this beauty. He told me it came out of my grandparent's home and he managed to save it without me even knowing it. PERFECT for what I was wanting. He even sat down and removed the rusty nails that were still hanging out of it. Ain't he a sweety?

Of course it would look horrible to the untrained eye, you know those that don't have the ability to see past the dirt and age to the beauty. Wow, this was better than just any piece of wood stacked up out there. This has special meaning and I'm proud to be making something out of it to hang in our home.

As soon as I got it up to the house, I went to work. I scraped it down and sanded it a little. Painted it black out in the sun so it would dry fast. Sanded it again, then painted the lettering on without even drawing it first because I want it to look as old as possible. I just happened to already have the wooden star cutouts to paint and attach. The final step was a light brown rubbing to antique the white some.

FINISHED and better than what I thought it would be. Better because it's an actual board reclaimed from a home that I have so many fond memories of.



I hope you have a wonderful Monday filled with blessings and laughter. See ya later.

8 comments:

  1. I am LOVING that wonderful sign!! What a great job you did on that special piece of old wood:)Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sign. I enjoy making signs so much myself. You did pretty darn good free handing your letters. I have to use stencils and I still mess up sometimes. Just love it.
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect sign for your warm & welcoming home Denise !! You did a great job, wish I could stop by for a visit : )
    Hugsss ~
    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a special sign..the rustic piece of wood coming from your grandparents home...now reused and it is such a nice "welcome" sign to your home. A family treasure! Sweet blessings for your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Amy, you did a wonderful job free handing, and its awesome that the wood came from your grandparents' home.. even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a special board for your special sign! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Denise!

    Got your comment on my blog this a.m....Nope, I haven't found a chair for the bathroom yet. Really haven't been looking. I've had so many projects going and trying to tie up loose ends. I'm sure you understand that!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, how special to have the memories of your grandparent's home every time you look at that sign! You did a great job on it! I wouldn't even dare attempt lettering without a stencil. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.