Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Mother First!



I had to make a decision, a decision to go ahead with Matthew's 16th Bluegrass Birthday party Saturday night or cancel it and just crawl in bed and cry. My dad went to Heaven Friday night and of course as a Christian I know he's so much better off and no longer suffering. On the other hand as a daughter, I already miss him terribly and am so sad. The decision to go ahead with the party was supported by everyone which helped. Grieving came before and after the party. I kept it pulled together during the party so it wouldn't be ruined. I'm a mother first!

The banjo cake turned out great. I was proud of it and it got many compliments. The music was great, a lot of picker friends showed up so the house was filled with laughter and music. My dad loved Bluegrass music. Until recently, he traveled close by to neighboring cities just about every weekend to be at different jams. He was so proud of Matthew's banjo playing. He constantly told me he loved to hear Matt pick but according to his brothers, that's just about all they heard too. So instead of calling me by my name during my dad's brief hospital stay prior to passing away Friday night, I was the "one" that her son picks the banjo. Hmm, I guess it's ok to be known as the "one". I'm a mother first!

The cake creation and Matt's upcoming party was just about all my dad and I talked about as we set through the long hours of a chemo treatment last Monday just before he passed out and was taken to the hospital. We talked about that, Bluegrass, and me taking him to The Barn next week, which is a local pickin' place where Matthew picks every Monday night. Well, tomorrow night is Monday night and as I sit at The Barn, I plan to put my purse in the seat next to me because that's where my dad would be sitting if he could. I know he would not have wanted the party cancelled, so for a few hours Saturday night I was a mother first and a grieving daughter second.

I'll leave you with a few pictures from the party. This week will be a long sad and tuff one for us to get through. We all have our theories about Heaven, so if my dad can tune into what is going on here I know he heard and enjoyed some great pickin' last night. I know he saw my cake and was proud of me for creating what I had probably spent an hour describing to him last Monday. By the way, I have two dad's in Heaven. A wonderful biological dad and this dad that took me and raised me as his own when I was 11 years old. What a reunion that will be, along with grandparents.





Oh, I forgot about the chili and homemade oreo cookies. They turned out good too and was enjoyed by all! Thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie, I am so sorry for the loss of your dad! I have alot of loved ones waiting in Heaven for me too and it is a hard thing to get through, but I know your dad was there watching and enjoying the party from his special vantage point and he was PROUD of you going on with it and proud of that beautiful cake you put so much love into making, (((BIG HUGS))) to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    It is with tears in my eyes that I write this comment. I am so very sorry for the loss of your father, I know he will be with you always in your heart, and in the seat next to you on Monday nights. God Bless you and family at this time. I understand, its been almost 3 years since I lost my dad.

    But I am so very happy (as I'm sure Matthew is happy and proud of you) on the creation you created for him. The cake turned out beautifully and he looks very proud of it!

    You have my heart sweetie during this time. If you ever need a friend, know I'm here for you! God be with you and watch over your daddy.
    Love and hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Denise ~ I am so sorry to hear about your father. I know he was very proud of you & Matthew. You are a wonderful daughter, mother, wife & friend !!! Your father will always be there watching over you and beaming with pride !
    Love you lots my friend ~
    Benita xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear about your father. I am sure it was very hard to get thru the party but your son will never forget the special day you gave him. The cake is awesome. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is loosing a father. You know I positively believe being a Christian helps you deal with a loss like this. I know first hand that without God in my life, I would have never survived when my daddy passed. I am praying for you my friend.
    I'm glad you were able to make your cake and get thru your party. I couldn't imagine how hard that had to be. Sometimes being a mom first is very hard to do. I'm proud of you!
    Keeping you in prayer,
    AMY

    ReplyDelete
  6. We enjoyed Matthews party and sharing the special day with your family and friends. I know it was hard for you and your were the perfect hostess as always. I am so proud to call you my friend of course we can't forget we are related as well! You are a strong Christian woman who puts her needs aside for others. May God be with you all during this time and lift you up when you feel like falling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My deepest sympathy on the loss of your dear dad. May God comfort your heart through the difficult days of grief.

    Your banjo cake turned out beautifully. I'm sure your son appreciated your effort to make his birthday special in the midst of the grief all of you were feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry for the loss of you Dad {{{Hugs}}}

    The banjo cake is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.