Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Thursday, November 26, 2009

One of the Best Thanksgivings Ever

What a wonderful day we had here on Lillie Mae Acres. We were blessed with family as Thanksgiving guests, and we had a wonderful time. It was good catching up on the latest happenings and of course we enjoyed all the yummy food.

I have to admit, I went to bed early Wednesday night with a headache. I thought I'd just get up, start the cooking, and we could eat on the everyday dinnerware with the everyday flatware. I just had to lay down instead of polishing silver and washing china.

Well, I'm glad to report that I woke up early, refreshed, and got right down to business. I polished my grandmother's silver and washed the pieces of china that we needed. I set the table the way I wanted it, then me and Wayne cooked a small country breakfast.


Matthew got up at 4 a.m. to go hunting, so we ate breakfast when he came wondering through the door. Then the cooking began!

This little odd shaped dish has held cranberry sauce for as long as I can remember. As a child, the cranberry sauce was always on this dish, sliced and ready for everyone to grab. My mom gave it to me and I make sure it holds the cranberry sauce each Thanksgiving on our table too. She told me it was one of her and my dad's wedding presents. That makes it almost 50 years old. I'm so careful with it.

I hate that I didn't get a better picture of it, but things were moving too fast. It's cut glass, with no markings. It may not be worth much, but it's value to me is pure sentimental.

The pies turned out great, and the little fall leaves made out of extra pie crust cooked up so nice on the tops. For some reason, i never heard Wayne say he wanted a pecan pie for Thanksgiving so I didn't bake one. I'm gonna have to make it up to him and bake him one real soon.

I'm really thankful for such a wonderful day and I'm thankful that I was able to talk to my sister and encourage her to do something that she should have done a long time ago. I know that God put her at our Thanksgiving table today for a reason, He used me today, and I allowed Him to use me today. It's such a good feeling to know that I listened to God the other day, and did what He would have me to do.

What a beautiful season of love we will be celebrating for the next few weeks. The most special time of the year.

2 comments:

  1. Your home looks so inviting and cozy! I'm so glad you got over your head-ache as those are never any fun. Your table looks great as does the jellied cranberry sauce...to me it is not Thanksgiving or a turkey meal without it...the only kind I like! I don't have such a lovely sentimental dish to serve it on, but did find something that would do two years ago and hope it stays with us for a good long while as it is just perfect for the sliced sauce!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table looks wonderful and those pies sure look YUMMY;)

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.