Lillie Mae Acres

Lillie Mae Acres

Saturday, October 3, 2009

What A Relaxing Lit'l Saturday

What a relaxing lit'l Saturday today has turned out to be. Hubby and I have been home all day, just doing a little of this and a little of that. We did not hit the road this morning like we planned. Matthew went off to a Bluegrass Festival a few days ago, so Wayne and I were going to ride up there and also swing by a Cracker Barrel or two (way out of our way, but worth it). Our day was planned! We'd get up early, hit the road, and end up at the festival seeing Matthew and listening to Bluegrass music all day and night. When we looked the festival up on the internet, we didn't recognize any of the groups performing. Of course all the musicians camping out and hanging out together away from the stage would have been worth the drive. Matthew is having tons of fun, probably not getting any sleep. Anyway, so we were trying to decide if it would be worth it or not to head that way. I'm so glad I took the advice of my good pal Benita, and called those Cracker Barrels to see if their fall stuff was on sale. They said no. Hmm, I guess all of them don't have the same stuff on sale at exactly the same time. The sales at these Cracker Barrels are all the Halloween stuff. Oh no, I'm going after those yummy smellin' Old Virginia triple fall scented country jar candles, one for me and one for my mom. I was also going after the new Gooseberry Patch cookbook for autumn. That is until yesterday. I went into the city yesterday and visited the local Hobby Lobby. If you don't have a Hobby Lobby near you, you're really missing out. It's a large wonderful craft and home dacor store, although I'm not sure if I prefer it over the Michael's across the street. Anyway, there in the fall department were the new Autumn Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. WOW, half off too. I picked up two of them and was pleased with myself for catching that great sale.


You know how that feels! Getting a good buy on something always makes me feel like I didn't waste our hard earned money. I hardly buy anything at regular price, that's why I'm waiting to go to Cracker Barrel. I know all that beautiful fall home stuff will be on sale at 40% off real soon. I just have to keep watching.
So, since today is just a relaxing day I decided to bake. I have fall scented candles filling my home with yummy scents and I thought that something should be in that oven. I found the perfect thing. A plain lit'l shortbread recipe out of the Christmas Gooseberry Patch cookbook my mom gave me.

If you have this book, it's on page 153. Just in case a lot of you don't have the book, I'll post the recipe.

Scottish Shortbread

1/2 c. butter (room temp)
6 T. sugar
1 1/2 c. all purp flour
1/8 t. salt
Cream the butter and sugar; gradually adding the flour and salt. Press into an 11" round cake pan; prick the edges w/ a fork. Bake at 325 degrees for 17-20 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle w/ sugar (colored sugar is pretty)while still warm. Cut into wedges.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I do not have an 11" round cake pan, so I used my 9" pan. It's a little thicker of course, and I increased baking by about 5 minutes to allow for that. It turned out so simple and sweet tasting, just perfect for an afternoon cup of coffee. In fact, while I'm typing I'm nibbling on a piece and washin' it down with rich black coffee. Mmm mmm mmm, and I wonder why I can't lose weight. I just need to have my sweet hubby take the oven out of the house for awhile.
Anyway, I hope you'll keep your eye out for all the beautiful fall things going on sale at all the stores close to you. I complain when they start stocking the shelves way too early, but then rejoice when all the stuff starts going on sale early.
I'm glad you stopped by and visited Lillie Mae Acres again. I think I'll go in there and sneak another piece of the shortbread, a lit'l more coffee and go look through some fall magazines while breathing in the scents of the fall candles. If only the weather outside would realize that it's fall.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh ~ I didn't know that Hobby Lobby has Gooseberry Patch books !! Now I've gotta run to my store and get one ~ thanks for the info! I'll keep asking at my CB store too for your fall stuff. I'm glad you've had a good day Denise ~ enjoy this beautiful fall weather !!
    LUVS~N~HUGS
    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always Benita. I have never seen Gooseberry Patch books at Hobby Lobby either, but there they were on the Thanksgiving baking isle in the fall dacor dept.
    They also had a Christmas GP on the Christmas baking isle along with some real pretty recipe cards. They didn't have any fall recipe cards. The Christmas one may be on sale but I wasn't worried about that right then. I sure hope your Hobby Lobby has them for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe and thanks for sharing. I have to get me a Gooseberry book for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too look for the clearance things at Cracker Barrel. I never pay full price either. I also love the Gooseberry books. I have 3 on my desk right now that I got used that I am going through. I was reading your profile and we have a lot in common. I don't make anyone take their shoes off when they come to my house either. I want everyone to feel comfortable. I can always sweep and vaccumn. I really like the layout of your blog. I basically live in my kitchen. The little apron on the side is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lillie Mae -- Love those Gooseberry Patch books. And you can never have too many! I just wanted to let you know that I'm having an apron giveaway drawing on my blog-site -- just because I'm nearing 100 posts (it's my own little celebration). So, please, please enter! And pass it along....Thanks. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed going through your blog. Thank you for coming by and being a follower. I will sign up to yours also. I have enjoyed meeting new ladies this last year. I started in April.
    Well have a good day!
    The post before this last one, I have a chicken curtain giveaway. Come over and sign up.
    Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Lillie Mae luvs comments. Thank you for taking the time to read and leave a comment my friend.